Mashed Cauliflower with Roasted Garlic ... 3 Ways
Mashed Cauliflower with Roasted Garlic, prepared in 3 different ways.
Author: Sylvia Fountaine | Feasting at Home Blog
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 1 extra large head cauliflower
- 8 - 10 cloves garlic- roasted (or sub 2-3 teaspoons granulated ROASTED garlic)
- ½ cup milk or ½ and ½
- ¼ cup stock, broth or water
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- generous pinch white pepper (or cracked pepper)
- pinch nutmeg- optional
- Optional additions:
- 1. A drizzle of olive oil, melted butter or truffle oil, right before serving
- 2. A few tablespoons of browned butter with sage leaves (see notes)
- 3. ½ cup - ¾ cup grated romano cheese and mozzerella mixed, then baked.
- Pre heat oven to 425 F
- Drizzle garlic cloves with oil and wrap tightly in a double layer of foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Cut cauliflower into small 1 inch thick florets, and place in a big pot with a steamer basket below and a little water and steam until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. You could also simmer in an inch of water in a big pot.
- Once tender, drain and place in a food processor adding milk, butter (or oil), sour cream and stock. You may have to start with half the cauliflower, puree, then add the rest fit, in order for it to fit. Puree until smooth, several minutes. Add salt, roasted garlic, pepper, and nutmeg. Taste. Adjust salt, pepper and garlic if you like.
- At this point, you could keep it warm and serve it, or refrigerate it and heat it up in the oven or stove top, before serving.
- Serve it as it is, or: 1. Drizzle with olive oil, melted butter or truffle oil. 2. Drizzle browned butter and crispy sage. 3. Top with grated cheese and bake in a 375 F oven until golden and crispy for a delicious cheesy crust.
- To brown butter, heat a few tablespoons of real butter in a small pot on the stove over medium heat. Let it cook until you begin to smell it's beautiful nutty fragrance. Once you smell it, add a few sage leaves, and stand by, and just let the butter slightly darken to the color of pine or oak, another minute or so-a light golden brown. Turn heat off until ready to serve, make a circular divot in the mashed cauliflower with the back of a spoon and pour the browned butter in there & top with sage.