Place herbs, garlic, spices and soaked garbanzo’s in a food processor and pulse until it forms a granular paste.
Form into patties, and refrigerate 15-20 minutes.
Bake at 400F for 30 minutes, turning over after 15 minutes.
For a crisper crust, pan fry in a greased cast iron skillet until golden and place in a warm oven until heated through.
Tzatziki can be made while falafel burgers are refrigerating.
Quick pickled peppers can be made in minutes, or try making pickled red onions.
Coriander seeds and peppercorns give good flavor.
- ¼ chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 C Italian parsley, tender stems ok ( use part cilantro)
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika ( optional)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 C dry garbanzo beans, soaked 12-36 hours, drained. Do not cook.
- Optional Falafel Burger Garnishes:
- Buns, Tzatziki, Pickled onions or peppers, sliced tomato, lettuce, crumbled feta
- Tzatziki Ingredients:
- 1 Cup finely diced cucumber
- 1 Cup Greek style (thick) low fat plain yogurt - or non dairy yogurt - if using non-fat yogurt, you may need to add a T of olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- 2 tsp lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- ¼ C chopped fresh herbs- Italian parsley, fresh dill, mint or cilantro
- pinch cayenne
- Quick Pickles:
- ½ cup vinegar- red wine, apple cider, or white
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 red onion or 8-10 little peppers - sliced
- 1 tsp coriander or cumin seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp whole peppercorn ( optional)
- 2 cloves sliced garlic (optional)
- In a food processor, pulse all the ingredients except garbanzo beans, until chopped and combined. Add garbanzo beans and pulse repeatedly, scraping down sides, until it sticks together, and forms a granular paste. (Do not blend until smooth.)
- Form 4 patties and place on parchment lined baking dish and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- If baking, pre heat oven to 400F.
- Make tzatziki and pickles ( see below)
- Either bake falafels in a hot oven, for 30 minutes, turning over ½ way through-- or pan fry in a cast iron skillet with a generous amount of oil, until each side is golden, and finish heating through in a warm oven.
- To make Tzatziki:
- Fold all ingredients together in a medium bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make Quick Pickled Peppers or Red Onions:
- Place all ingredients in a small pot on the stove, bring to a boil. Simmer 3 minutes, refrigerate.
- Assemble burgers on buns w/ tzatziki, sliced tomatoes, greens, pickled peppers or onions and feta crumbles.