The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.
~ W.B. Yeats~
This recipe for Chicken Carnitas is for my sister-in-law, Shelley. It can be made in a Dutch Oven or in a Slow Cooker, which ever you prefer. (My dutch oven is my slow cooker.) If using a Dutch Oven, cook it on the stove or bake it in the oven, your choice. It takes about an hour, with just 15 minutes of hands on time. Make a flavorful batch on Sunday and use for several delicious meals during the workweek. Think Tacos, burritos, quesadillas, nachos, enchiladas, healthy burrito bowls, or even a breakfast hash. It has so many uses and it’s soooooo good, but it’s made with basic everyday ingredients- you won’t tire of it, I promise! You could also freeze half and save for week, if cooking for one.
The morning is covered in a blanket of white. The sun hasn’t risen, yet snow-covered roofs glow in the darkness. Dreams hover like mist, joining and entwining, before flying back home to sleeping souls. We are more connected than we think, and sometimes we remember for a fleeting moment before our thoughts awaken and tell us what’s what, and how things really are. And like the mist, it dissolves… and the world becomes a solid “safe”place again.
The little boy across the street runs circles in the snow, throwing his hands up in the air, laughing mouth open amongst the snowflakes. Mind you, it’s still dark. He’s young, still tethered to that golden place where we all come from and end up going. When I was very little, my singular song to the gods was, please don’t let me go. I don’t remember it much, but I knew I didn’t want to leave that place – and the “real” world pulled me further and further away. Now only bits of that song remain, the golden light now nothing but a dream. There are those on their way out, so effervescent and full of light, who recognize it coming through their unveiled mind. Look deeply then into those love-filled eyes and catch a glimmer of the magic beyond…
The first day, I made some cilantro rice and assembled healthy chicken carnitas bowls with beans, peppers, onions, avocado and fresh greens. So tasty!
The following day, I warmed it up for quick and easy chicken carnitas fajitas.
I you like crispy carnitas, sear it in a little olive oil in a skillet, or broil on a sheet pan.
And finally on the last day we served it up for breakfast with roasted sweet potatoes and eggs for a quick and hearty chicken carnitas breakfast skillet. Delish!
Quesadillas were next on my list, but by then the chicken carnitas were all gone.
This recipe serves 2 people for 3 different meals.
An easy way to get through a busy workweek.
Give it a whirl!
- 1 onion- diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 6 garlic clives- rough chopped
- 3 lbs chicken- boneless, skinless thigh or breast ( left whole)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder ( optional- for heat)
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or GF Braggs Liquid Amino Acids
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar ( or lime juice)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano ( or a couple bay leaves)
- 1 can diced green chilies ( optional)
- If baking, preheat oven to 400F
- Heat oil in a Medium Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add onion, saute 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add garlic, turn heat to medium, saute 4-5 minutes until fragrant and golden and onions are tender.
- Add spices and salt, toasting for 1-2 minutes
- Add water, soy and vinegar.
- Add oregano and green chillies. Stir.
- Place chicken in the liquid. (At this point you could place all in your slow cooker, for 4-5 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low)
- Bring to a simmer. Cover and either simmer on the stove on med-low for 45 minutes or place in the hot oven.
- NOTES: If cooking breasts, check at 35 minutes, they may be done depending on size. Thighs may will need the whole 45 minutes, perhaps a little more, again, depending on size.
- You know if its done if meat is tender and shreds easily with two forks. Shred then simmer gently on the stove until some of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 -10 more minutes.
- If you like very crispy carnitas, simmer until all the liquid is gone, and/ or drain well, then pan sear in oil to crisp, or place on a sheet pan and broil in the oven.