Walking. I am listening to a deeper way. Suddenly all my ancestors are behind me. Be still, they say. Watch and listen. You are the result of the love of thousands.
~ Linda Hogan ~
Happy New Year! Here’s a simple cleansing pot of soup to help start off the New Year in a vibrant and healthy way – Detox Lentil and Beet Broth Soup. Beets are packed full of antioxidants that aid the liver in detoxifying and purifying our bodies. They contain a powerful anti-inflammatory agent called betaine, a nutrient that protects cells and helps fights inflammation, soothing and healing our bodies. When you drink this beet broth, it feels as if you are giving your liver such a gift.
FYI, for the whole month of January, I’m focusing on fast, simple, Clean Eating recipes to start the year off on a healthier path. I’m cutting out sugar, flour and most dairy and keeping recipes plant-based with lean proteins. For more recipes like this check out the “detox” category of the recipe section.
In this recipe, tiny Black Caviar lentils keep the cooking time under 30 minutes and as they cook along with the grated beets, they take on the beets’ earthy sweet flavor. Simple, clean ingredients come together into a flavorful, hearty, nurturing way. Vegan and gluten-free, this soup is not only clean and healthy, full of protein and fiber, it’s really filling, low in calories and satisfying.
If your beets come with tops, be sure to add some into the soup for an extra boost of nutrients. If short on time, you can often find pre-shredded raw beets in the “salad bar” section of your grocery store. If you can find pre-shredded beets, this will significantly cut down on prep time. Another short cut would be to use a food processor with the grater attachment, if you don’t feel like grating by hand.
One the beets are grated, the soup takes about 30 minutes of simmering time, or until the lentils are done. Divide among two bowls and top with fresh grated beets, fresh herbs and a drizzle of olive oil. Pomegranate seeds add a bright pop of flavor as well as an extra boost of anti-oxidants.
Happy New Year friends!
I feel so honored you are here and am continually blessed by you. So many of you have written me and told me a little of your story and each time, my heart is moved. I wish I could share these emails with the world, because what you send me is so poignant and honest, I know they would be of help to others. Even through our screens it seems we seek connection and meaning in this digital age. I want to thank you for continually making this more real for me. I feel you out there, I really do. And hope that each time you come here you feel me too.
Sending you love,
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- ½ cup dry whole lentils (the smallest lentils cook the fastest- I like Black Caviar, and do not use split lentils)
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin (or sub half coriander)
- 2-3 cups grated beets (2 tennis ball sized beets, peeled, grated). FYI You can sometimes find grated beets in the "salad bar"section of upscale grocery stores.
- 1 lemon
- Garnish: fresh herbs (dill, flat leaf parsley or cilantro) drizzle of olive oil, pomegranate seeds (optional).
- Heat oil in medium pot over medium heat. Sauté shallot for 2-3 minutes, then add garlic. Saute 2 more minutes until golden and fragrant. Add water, lentils, beets (save a little for fresh garnish) salt and cumin. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook on low simmer, for 30 minutes or until lentils are cooked through and tender. If using larger lentils you will need to cook longer, so keep simmering, covered until tender.
- When lentils are tender, squeeze in the juice from one lemon.
- Divide among 2 bowls. Top with a handful of fresh grated beets and fresh dill (or cilantro, parsley) and drizzle with a little olive oil. Add a few fresh pomegranate seeds if you like.
- NOTES : If serving someone who prefers extra richness, feel free to top with a little plain yogurt or sour cream, but know that the olive oil really adds a nice richness to this.