Finely slice the brussel sprouts, starting at the top, and discarding the hard bottoms.
Make sure to purchase seedless dates. Slicing them will give you a workout… it’s a little tough, but it will be worth it.
Either buy roasted hazelnuts or roast them yourself on a sheet pan, in a 400F oven for 15 minutes or until fragrant.
A tip. When crushing nuts, put them in a ziplock bag, removing as much air as possible, and roll over them with a rolling pin. If they won’t roll easily, give a few initial whacks to break them up first. It’s kind of fun.
and subscribe to receive new posts via email.
- 1 lb brussel sprouts ( about 4 Cups, sliced and packed)
- 1 cup unsalted roasted hazelnuts
- ¾ cup chopped seedless dates
- ¼ C finely diced red onion
- ¼ C olive oil
- ¼ C apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ C Real Maple syrup or honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper- plus more to taste
- Cracked pepper to taste
- Orange zest of one orange
- Finely slice brussel sprouts, beginning at top, and work down towards ends, discarding hard ends. Place in a bowl.
- Slice dates...this is a little of a chore, be patient, add to bowl.
- Crush roasted hazelnuts, add to bowl.
- Finely dice a ¼ cup of a red onion, add to bowl.
- Whisk in a small bowl, the oil, vinegar, maple syrup, salt, cayenne, pepper.
- Pour dressing over slaw and mix in well.
- Mix in orange zest saving a little for the top as garnish. Enjoy.